Silent Observer is a non-profit organization dedicated to public safety and since 1972 has remained committed to its mission to solve and prevent serious crime in the Greater Grand Rapids area in partnership with citizens, the media, and law enforcement.
Silent Observer uses anonymous tips online, telephone, and a mobile app to help law enforcement agencies solve crimes in our communities.
Job Skills / Requirements
SCOPE: The Executive Director is the main contact for the Silent Observer Program. The Executive Director provides support to the Silent Observer program and has primary responsibility for working with law enforcement agencies, administering day-to-day operations, public relations, initiating new programs and partners, and working with the Silent Observer Board of Directors.
- 25-30 Hours per week
- Hours typically 1st shift
- Evening or Weekend hours may be required dependent on tip management and Silent Observer events
- Rate of Pay: $35.00 HR
- Benefits: 401K Matching up to 5%
- Other Perks: Parking paid by Silent Observer
LOCATION: Grand Rapids, MI
REPORTS TO: Silent Observer Board of Directors
DIRECT REPORTS: Partnership with Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce
- Work with all law enforcement agencies in our area to improve program operations and coordinate information provided by tipsters with responses from law enforcement agencies.
- Work with tipsters to gather more information than originally provided while continuing to promise to protect their anonymity.
- Distribute tips to law enforcement agencies and communicate with web and mobile app tipsters on a timely basis. This includes monitoring tips in the evening, weekends and holidays to ensure any tips needing immediate assistance are dealt with.
- Keep in touch with call centers and do periodic training with the operators to remind them of procedures and to make sure new employees understand how to take a tip, what to ask and how to distribute tips to the right law enforcement agencies.
- Works with law enforcement to assist them in solving crimes by highlighting certain cases and promoting rewards offered.
- Distribute rewards and manage special category reward funds.
- Coordinate with the Silent Observer Board of Directors to:
- Implement Board decisions
- Review monthly program performance
- Strategize program direction and fundraising
- Evaluate and authorize rewards
- Coordinate involvement by Board members in program development.
- Develop new initiatives to help solve crime in our community. Done so by maintaining membership and involvement in Crime Stoppers USA.
- Meet regularly with Chamber staff to guide them in their marketing, events, legislative and fundraising efforts as it pertains to Silent Observer and the contract between the GR Chamber and Silent Observer.
- Maintain relationships with the media; prepares press releases with the help of the GR Chamber, etc. and participates in media interviews. Responsible for all speaking engagements Silent Observer is asked to give.
- Assist the GR Chamber with messaging for Marketing Materials like newsletters, brochures, signage, and other promotional materials. Plan public relations and marketing campaigns and attend all Silent Observer community functions.
- Promote Silent Observer, its’ activities, and initiatives through social media.
- Work with the GR Chamber in making updates to the Silent Observer web site.
- Maintains a good relationship with all the law enforcement agencies in Kent County and networks and visits each Chief or members of their team on a regular basis.
- Develop relationships with government groups, churches, civic groups, and community organizations.
- Compile and analyze program statistics for marketing and public relations, fundraising, program accountability and feedback to law enforcement agencies.
- Maintains the integrity, professionalism, values, and goals of the Silent Observer program by ensuring that all rules and regulations are followed, and that accountability and public trust are preserved.
- Seeks out and attends community events to promote and educate the public about Silent Observer.
- Works with middle and high schools to promote Silent Observer’s Campus Program and encouraging student involvement by offering certain initiatives.
- Coordinates fundraising activities by identifying targets, assisting the Chamber in the development of mailing materials, and responding to donors. Directs the GR Chamber when planning and coordinating Silent Observer’s annual fundraising events.
- Conduct administrative functions, such as coordinating Board meetings and materials and preparing reports and general program correspondence.
- Creates a working annual budget with Silent Observer’s Treasurer and the GR Chamber’s Director of Finance. Research and implement new programs, ideas, and grants to keep Silent Observer an effective community program. Review with Silent Observer Board before implementation for feedback and approval.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Degree preferred or High School diploma/GED with 10 years minimum experience in the Criminal Justice, Non-Profit, Marketing or Fundraising field.
- Must pass a background investigation with no prior criminal arrest history.
- Basic understanding of social media platforms, event planning, public speaking, fundraising, and community engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be skilled in basic computer and technology platforms including but not limited to: Microsoft Office products, Internet and email.
Silent Observer is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Silent Observer’s job openings are open to all without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, age, height, weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or veteran status. M/F EEO/AA Employer
Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma or GED
This job reports to the Silent Observer Board of Directors
This is a Part-Time position
Number of Openings for this position: 1
#Executive #Director #Silent #Observer #Kent #County
(You can apply for this job from Kent County, MI and nearby regions.)